Friday, January 11, 2008

How to change DataOne plan?

This is one of the most tricky thing. I had heard how simple it is to change the plan in Bharti Airtel. You get your plan changed in a day or two. But it is quite a tedious one in BSNL. You have to give a written request to the exchange from which you have taken your broadband connection!! I was thinking i will move to Home 500C or Home 500C+ scheme. But now i have to see when i can go to the exchange and do this tedious process. Also, once you give a request the change become effective from 1st of the next month. So plan to get a Home 500C on the day of applying itself.

Why Home 500C?
- You need not pay Rs 180/- as the telephone rental
- 175/- free calls compared to 50 in Home 500 scheme
- so effectively you get your broadband for 500- (180+175-50)=Rs 175/- cheaper than the Home 250 plan and if you are doing normal browsing 1.5GB limit is more than enough. but do your torrent downloads at night. And no gtalk/yahoo messenger talk daily.

I finally went and changed my plan to Home 500C. All you have to do is walk to your nearest BSNL local exchange and write in a white paper to commercial officer and submit it there. I was initially told that i had to submit this in the customer care center but i luckily asked a second person in the exchange and he told me that it indeed has to be submitted in the local exchange. So i submitted there and now one week after the submission i have moved to Home 500C plan

9 comments:

MoonDrops said...

I understand that one should take the larger plan in the first place. Even I did this blunder. I opted for Home 500 to just check the speed and connectivity of DataOne. But I finished up 2.5 GB in 1 week. Now I want to get hold of the unlimited plan (UL 900+).
I placed my request but now have no idea when it will be appilcable.

jishnua said...

@mainak: how do u consume so much? there are lot of freeware software which can allow u to download from 2 AM to 8 AM. So keep all your heavier download ones for the night also before u move to higher plan check your statistics for few months. As initially u may end up downlaoding a lot. BTW i have laready downloaded 16 GB in 2 weeks!! but only 750 MB in the morning :)

MoonDrops said...

Hi Jishnu, I was new to dataone so I didnt know the trick of logging in after 2am and logging off before 8am. I thought irrespective of login time all traffic between 2am to 8am will be free. Big mistake. By the time I came to know of this "Feature" of dataone, I had downloaded movies, software etc on torrent. To make matters worse, I am on the 117.x.x.x IP range that needs to get hold of some stupid portal id to check the usage. I havent been able to check my usage. BSNL morons have not yet provided my the portal id.
No dialers work for me because I connect the UT300R2U router to my Wireless Router and access internet using my laptop on wifi.
If you have suggestions then please do share.

jishnua said...

@moondrops: You can see your usage @ http://data.bsnl.in/wps/portal. There you can click on "Broadband Customers Please Click Here to Login". Pl be patient as it works once in a while (also this is for bangalore guys and not sure if it works throughout India) but as per that sheet 2 to 8 AM is free even if you logged in at any point of time.

MoonDrops said...

Jishnu.. sorry but I changed the name so @mainak is same as @moondrops. What I wrote was in continuation to your previous comment posting.
I have tried that usage checking site, it needs a Portal ID which has not been supplied by BSNL to me. I have requested them for the same but they have not turned up yet.
About Night Unlimited.. I read various posts on forums which say that you need to log in after 2am (http://broadbandforum.in/bsnl-dataone-broadband/15598-bsnl-dataone-night-unlimited-all-concerned-imp/). I dunno how much true this is but I will follow that for now.
Just an update. BSNL charged me 13K for the period from Nov '07 to Jan '08. I am no way paying this. Something seems fishy. I suspect that someone else is using the account.

jishnua said...

@mainak: I saw the detailed bill for me.. it was at least showing zero charges for the 2-8 period... i have not got the first bill.. so i cant comment much on this.. but the detailed bill in the link mentioned earlier did show unbilled amount of 0 during 2-8 AM and i am going by that... else i am also going to get a bill like you !! Your login and password u use there is ur login name and password as the password which bsnl gave at the time of connection. Once you get inside there you can change your password for the broadband connection. This will allow you to ensure no misuse of your account.. hope this helps..

CD Solanki said...

I have got a new dataone connection. For finding usage I open dataone.in and then click usage but it never opens. Please tell me how to find usage and change passwrod etc.

jishnua said...

Use http://bbservice.bsnl.in/ site to know the usage. But most of the time this is down.. but this should not be a reason to lose patience!!

Unknown said...

hey jishnu thanks alot for the info....it was very useful!!!!....